Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Beckoned Back


I’m back and re-settled into Tall White Man Lodge in Ashland, Montana for year two in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps NorthWest! This past weekend I went to Crow Fair and although I had gone last year it was an entirely different experience. I wasn’t overwhelmed by the uniqueness of the experience, but instead felt alive with energy because I felt everything about the experience beckoning me back. The powwow, the rodeo, indian tacos, sleeping in a teepee; they all called me back to the beautiful culture here. I felt some of my fears about returning fade away every time I walked around the arbor (the powwow area) and stopped to talk to one of my students from last year. It is hard to find belonging but I felt that I reclaimed a little bit of belonging here in my experience at Crow Fair. As I stared at the small patch of sky visible through the top of the teepee and listened to the powwow I saw the big sky that has been a place for me to open my heart to the incredible community here, and I heard the drums beckoning me back. The drums beckoned to my heart, and gave me strength to embrace this new year. I don’t know what all this year will have in store for me, but I have faith that the Great Spirit will be with me and guide me. I know that the Great Spirit has beckoned me back to this place that in many ways has become home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment